Monday, June 14, 2021

A “Classic” Goodbye…

 

My Morris Minor

Many of my friends and colleagues know that I own a classic car. Well, the term “classic” may be a tad generous, but it is definite an old vehicle. The vehicle to which I refer is my 1961 Morris Minor Traveller 1000. I have provided a link if you are interested in learning more about the history of this make and model.


My Minor was purchased by my father in the mid-2000s. He and my mother drove a Morris Minor while they were dating in college. After several nostalgic drives, they both realized something important: most antique cars are not that comfortable or convenient to drive, especially with right-hand steering (at least in the States).

Several years later, after numerous attempts to sell their "old banger," I purchased it from them. They were grateful to have their garage space back and, at the time, I needed a vehicle for occasional trips. I also had a garage where I could store and work on the car. Over time I rebuilt the carburetor, installed a new fuel pump, fixed the fuel gauge, replaced the cooling fan, bodged the muffler back together (several times), 

I learned a lot about the British Series A engine (talk about almost useless knowledge) and the Traveller. In addition to being right-hand steering, this car is unique in another way. First of all, the "wood trim" is actually not trim. When Morris first developed the Minor "Estate Wagon" it would hardly move due to the small (< 1L) engine. Did Morris install a larger engine to remedy its anemic power to weight ratio? Of course not, they simply replaced the steel in the rear half of the estate wagon with aluminum. Since the aluminum of the 1960s wasn't structurally suitable for automotive body panels, Morris reinforced the aluminum with elm.



Image these two characters diving that tiny car 😵
I used to drive it to rehearsals and occasionally to work I even incorporated it in one of the lessons for my sustainability course. Possibly my fondest memory of the car was in 2015, when Mark Allison, Benjamin Turner, and I were performing a one act play at the old Columbus Civic Theater. The play was called “Christmas under the Big Top.” Since it was the second of two one act plays being performed, the three of us decided to meet at my place to get made up and changed into costumes. This avoided conflict with the other show's cast in the Civic's tiny back stage area. Imagine what the other drivers thought when they saw these two characters driving that tiny little car! If we had been performing in an actual circus, I imagine stopping and having 20 clowns pile out of it.

Well, after Krista and I decided to live together, we moved to a different location. Unfortunately, we were never able to find a rental with a garage that we could afford. Despite having numerous covers and tarps over the next several years, time and weather were not kind. I no longer had a comfortable place to work on it and realized that, while I owned it, it would continue to deteriorate. The wood started to rot and the floor, which was always just a few lbs. away from collapsing entirely, would eventually do so.

Museum Director Peter Stroble (L) and me
I knew I could not expect to sell it in her present condition. Donating her for a charity auction seemed plausible. However, I kept thinking that a car this old and unique should be in a museum… Even if David Vargo called it a “Cockney Jeep”. 

Well, that is exactly where it is going! I decided to donate it to the British Transportation Museum.

Last Friday, June 4th, the director of the museum collected my Morris Minor. The museum intends to restore it and put it on display. So, stay tuned. I will update this blog when I receive updates.

- Food for Thought


No comments:

Post a Comment